Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Reflections

Reflective sphere at science museum

What have I learned my first month in Europe..hmmm. I learned that playing in the park is really fun, fresh baguettes are amazing, trying to communicate in a foreign language is a challenge, walking 50 miles a week isn't so bad and breaking up a gypsy scam is fun, okay and scary. So much has happened in this last month and I can't believe I still have 8 more to go. The biggest lesson so far has been leaning to slow down. Traveling with a two year old forced us to physically and mentally slow down. Imagine trying to maneuver through a museum full of people from all over the world, everyone is there to admire the art - now insert a two year old strapped in a stroller who has absolutely no clue who Monet is and could care less about water lilies. How do we both find enjoyment in this adventure and also not create havoc for the other museum visitors?  You play games. we decide ahead of time what we want to look for and we go in search of it. We searched for bananas, kites and of course elephants. We didn't have much luck with the bananas but Ce'zanne's Pommes et Oranges was a beautiful piece of art work that we spent at least 4 minutes looking and talking about..3 more minutes than I would of spent without the goal of finding bananas. We broke into song while looking at Monet's Woman with a parasol because Tatum thought it looked like a kite. So we sang "let's go fly a kite" we got some interesting looks and lots of smiles too. I would have to say that I probably had the best time in a museum because I had to slow down and look at things differently.

So I decided to be a good samaritan and thwart someone from getting taken like I did with the "found your gold ring" scam. Except I didn't realize my scammer had a pimp and they would chase you down. We had just crossed over from the Louvre as we were going to indulge in another cup of Angelina's Chocolate chaud, it was pouring and we needed a pick me up. I noticed a girl standing with a couple showing them her discovery of the infamous gold ring. The man walked away with the young girl so I approached the woman and informed her it was a scam, she then called out to her husband and I told him the same thing. I foiled the scam, take that you gypsy scammers!!! I look up and there is this guy starring at me with a certain look upon his face (it wasn't a happy look), as we passed him he yelled something at me. At that moment is when Laura and I realized that was the "pimp". Next thing I know the gypsy girl is behind me saying things in broken English, the only part I really caught was "kiss my ass" (made me sort of giggle, really that's all the English cursing skills you have?) then she proceeded to try and trip me by kicking at my feet. We never turned around, we never engaged  we just kept on walking, I wont lie I was having thoughts about the gypsy mafia coming after me, every time someone came up from behind us and passed I was on guard. Laura and I decided we are going to research all the other countries we are traveling to and find out the scams so we don't get scammed but everyone else is on there own...but hey for one Euro I have a couple of great stories. Next stop Friesland, The Netherlands.

Seafood anyone?


Homemade pizza 

Le Cordon Bleu'

Street Art at The Pompidou  

The Pompidou fountain





Pepsi sample

Park faces

American bookstore but that green statue is a water dispenser 


Canal  St.Martin 

Locks

St Martin bridge


Lunch in the park 

Random

Another carousel

Foggy

Clear

Musee d Orsay 5th floor

Whats a little rain?

Fishnet

Yep  we are happy!

3 comments:

  1. Lovin' the updates, Kim! Stay safe, stay on your feet and PLEASE, kiss NO ONE's ass, hehehe! Love you all....

    Juli

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hear kissing ass is all the rage in Paris-town!!
    We are happy for you three - keep having a ball.
    Doug & Jan

    ReplyDelete
  3. So enjoying your trip....not as much as you are of course....but never the less - - thanks for sharing. My son and his family live in Oslo and we were fortunate enough to be able to visit Norway last year. Hopefully, you will also be able to experience that wonderful country as well. Cheers!!!!!

    Maggie

    ReplyDelete