Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Green man, Poisson and Beer



I can't believe it has been a week already but according to my Fitbit and shoes we have logged 45mi of walking in 6 days. Speaking of walking, crossing the street in Paris is lke the game of Frogger - sure there are cross walks but I think that is the target zone for drivers. Even though we have the "green man" as we have named the walk sign, you best not jump off the curb to quickly or it is game over. The last couple of days have been less about doing and more about seeing. We have taken wonderful strolls down the streets in our arroundesment and found some quaint shops, cafes and parks. We have spent hours this week just kicking a ball around, playing in the sand, sliding down slides and collecting rocks - the joys of a two year old are the joys of a 48 year old.
I decided to try and make poisson du almondine tonight for dinner, the trick was to find fish as we were warned not to purchase fish at the local supermarket but then the street market was closed for the day. Laura recalled we saw a Poisonn store not to far from our house, so we traveled out in the rain - ahh Paris rain feels so different than Portland rain. We arrived at Poisson Lacroix where we were greeted by the owner Charly a Michelin award winning Poissonaire - what a chacter he was. He spoke as much English as I do French but we had the best conversation. He was rollicking and expressive, he easily could of been a character in a movie Laura remarked. He called out to the guy across the street at the dry cleaners when I needed change, he called out to the young man at the cafe on the corner who spoke some English to come over, it was truly the highlight of the day. He asked us to "like" him on Facebook, we took a picture together and he invited us to Les' Heures Heureuses de Paris (sort of a taste of the local streets in each arroundesment,small bites for 2 Euros). Even though I have no clue what type of fish I bought and the fact I paid 14 Euros for one filet, it was an amazingly entertaining and delicious dinner.
As for the beer, I know I am in wine country but there are so many beers here to try and so inexpensive and so unusual (tequila flavored, red beer, etc.) I just couldn't miss out on it.
This next week will be filled with a crepe or two, more cheese and bread, wine, beer and hopefully 50 miles of walking oh and a trip to Paris Disneyland.

Sacre Coure

Colonne de Juillet

Random goldfish on the Pont de Arts aka Lovers Bridge


Locks of love

Daily fresh herbs

Do you want to build a sand man?

Looking at Paris through the eyes of a two year old

Carousel Sacre Coure


The infamous Moulin Rouge

Our new friend Charly

Oui oui we "Like"

Public toilets on the streets of Paris - I love it!

Home of absinthes

Rainbow colors of macaroons

Sobeautiful 

Red beer and raspberry beer - yes please

3 comments:

  1. Just love reading these and your FB posts!

    -Juli

    ReplyDelete
  2. I look forward to your posts every day Kim! You describe it so perfect that I feel like I'm there. Well, sort of. LOL
    Barb

    ReplyDelete